Friday, April 16, 2010

▌CONTROVERSY ▌MEET JANE GOLDMAN: Everybody Loves A Hit Girl!*

(*That is, except for Roger Ebert.)

Anywho!




Check the interview Women & Hollywood did with the scribe responsible for that punchy, kick booty tween!

Jane Goldman doesn't really care if you don't like 11-year-old, Hit Girl. In so many words, she tells W&H, that's why it's rated R--if you don't like it, don't go see it!

To the masses' naïveté (or maybe it's more wishful thinking? Idealist thinking?): what 11 year olds have you known?

I won't get too soapy, but let me just say this--if you could've been a fly on the wall my 6th grade year...all your sugar and spice illusions would've flown out the window a long time ago.

Annnnd...not much has changed since then. 

I think the frustration enters where presumptions about how little girls "should" be clashes with how and where we think art "should" and "shouldn't" imitate life.

Personally, I can't offer any opinion yet on whether Hit Girl's going to be a good or bad thing, but it does kinda sound like Hit Girl's going to own every minute of her pre-pubescent maturity and adult themes. 

And I CAN'T WAIT to see this movie!

Just saying.

Here's my money shot from Jane Goldman, and trust there are many, so DO read in full HERE:

"Often, when you have all that girls and guns nonsense it’s such a sexualized thing and it doesn’t really help any woman’s benefit. And I think that is what fascinated me about Hit Girl being so young. You’ve removed all of that sexualized stuff and what you’ve just got is a genuinely scary little anti-hero. She’s a real little female Han Solo, in a way that you couldn’t do if she was 18."

Kick Ass opens today. It is rated R.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis