Monday, January 25, 2010

'Waiting for Superman'...lemme vent right quick, and GO!

Davis Guggenheim (above), Geoff Canada in 'Waiting for Superman' (below)


I'm not this cynical all the time.

I promise.

It's just more often than not I'm moved to the keyboard when I'm irritated and irked.
So here I am. Irritated and irked.

The first acquisition of the annual big deal over yonder in Park City, Utah is 'Waiting for Superman', Paramount Vantage's proud purchase. Brought to you by the same guy that helped Al Gore infuse sexy into eco-consciousness and the still hotly-debated climate change crisis.

Davis Guggenheim, director of 'An Inconvenient Truth', helms the doc that I daresay, has brought all of the big guns out to Sundance Film Festival.

Michelle Rhee ova dere. (Chancellor of DC Public Schools)
Bill Gates ova dere. (Gates Millennium Foundation)
And oh. Geoff Canada (Harlem Children's Zone) is but one face that lights up the doc itself (I am a big fan of his).

I'm not knocking anybody's approach to unscrew-up the hot mess that is this NCLB mire--and in fact, am happy to salute Guggenheim for doing what no one else has done to this point:

Bring it up.
In a major way.
Through a major medium.

He surely won't settle it. I can tell from the 2 minute bit he did with Sundance about the film itself. But the first word never does.

In fact, I predict this documentary will avert its eyes to the REAL roots of American public education's failure. And I predict it will only further propagate the gospel of the so-called cool kids in education 'reform,' minimize the debates to a two-sided something or other about why we should praise the good we see for implementing a Charter structure and blame the bad on 'bad teaching' and unionization.

But I can tell you right now, boo.
Dis ain gon be de las word u seen on de matta.
Trust.

Can't wait til this opens in D.C.
POST SCRIPT
Read this after I posted: Washington City Paper's Arts Roundup for 1/25/10 quips, "Methinks not everyone in town will be lining up to see Waiting for Superman at E Street Cinema a few months from now."

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis