Friday, February 12, 2010

preOSCAR: The AMPAS "PR Nightmare of epic proportions"



The narrative around the narratives:

Sooooooooo...the top Oscar contenders--each weighing in with 9 noms apiece for their films Hurt Locker and Avatar--are ex husband and wife!

Yes: Kathryn Bigelow--only the 4th woman to be nominated in the Oscars' Best Director category, and the absolute 1st woman to receive the DGA honor--used to be Booskied up with James 'produceamoviebymebabyandbeaZillionaire' Cameron.

HOWZ'ABOUT THAT!?

Before I get into what John Luchetti said over at FilmStage.com, let me just share this little PSA with the Kathryn Bigelow haters and biters: SIT. DOWN. SHUT. UP.

Folks who binge on -isms never fail to amaze me. People are really trying to discredit her hustle on the premise of a relationship that's been over since 1991. This may come as a shock to some, but I was a full 3 feet shorter in 1991. So if you are that pressed to play Blocker, go 86 yourself.

That being said--you should know by now that I'm an 'Avatar' hater. I can't comment on 'Hurt Locker' beyond saying, I would've never guessed Bigelow directed it, and a mighty 'POW!' to her for wrestling with the big boys on their so-called turf. This is an EXTREMELY major deal when only 6% of the industry is female at the directorial level and even more shameful where cinematographers are concerned, according to Dr. Nsenga K. Burton, Ph.D. writing for TheBlackBoxOffice.com.

I don't have an issue with James Cameron, so don't think I'm trying to flip the script, but I'll give full vent to my 'Avatar' beef once we get to Oscars week. Trust and know my reasons aren't hardly as patriarchally contrived as the people I just shouted out. I'm very interested, however, in whether or not Luchetti is right. He believes the fact of Cameron's ex-husband status may--and should--get in the way of an 'Avatar' win. Cameron's already enjoyed overwhelming success at this level per 'Titanic', but I'm writing to say two things in particular.
1) I don't think Bigelow would want a sympathy Oscar at the hands of her ex's goodwill and sportsmanship.
2) I don't think Lee Daniels would care for a 'sympathy' Oscar, either. BUT in the name of giving folks their flowers before they're dead, why don't we quell this alleged media-storm before it's time by drumming up the Academy in 'Precious' favor?

Because when has the Academy ever really given an Oscar to Black folks for their actual body of work? It seems to me, that they give melanin-ized nods when they anticipate a drought or happen to remember their 'commitment to diversity' workshops. There's always this backed up stream during some Awards seasons, as if to make up for lost time.

No, really. Look at this list of nominees--not even winners--in the history of the Oscars in Black via Entertainment Weekly. Compare this against the track of Black Oscar winners in the most contentious categories via Indiana University.
So while Bigelow would be the 4th nominated woman, Daniels is only the 2nd Black director nominated, period.

And even after I've intimated my case for a Lee Daniels win...I realize this is ridiculous. It's like fighting for crumbs in the Big House, when we need to just take the whole loaf and burn down the house.
GRRRRRRR....

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis